Wednesday, February 13, 2008

I-Care House

In Fitness Education last semester, we had to do 2 service learning projects. I chose to go to the I-Care House in New Castle for my one project. At the I Care House, children can range anywhere from 6-14 years of age. These kids are from low-income families and usually have no one at home. A van from SRU picks the children up every Wednesday and we take them to a gym about 5 minutes from the I-Care House. It truly is a rewarding experience because when these kids see us each week, they have big smiles on their faces and are excited for us to be there because we never let them down. Ever since, I've been going to the I-Care House on Wednesdays, and we usually just take a bunch of equipment and let them do whatever they want to do as long as they remain active in the gym. We play and interact with them for about an hour and a half. If any of you can spare two hours of your Wednesday night, I guarantee you it will be well worth your while.

No comments: